SHOW DATE: DECEMBER 11, 2013
If you’re planning the holiday party, here are a few valuable things to keep in mind:
- Get everything set up days in advance. It’s going to be crazy those few hours before the party, so why add to that craziness? Leave only the finishing touches to the day before or the day of.
- Your boss will probably go crazy. Don’t shut down as he’s turning red and machine-gunning spittle over your blank face: try and see what he’s actually upset about.
- You want the day of the party to be about taking care of your boss and taking care of any fires, so once again, get everything set up days in advance.
- Name tags are pretty detestable and cheesy… in principle. But unless it’s a small event where everybody at the party knows everybody else, just put the name tags on. You want people to mingle and get to know each other.
- If you’re invited to anything—especially if it’s a business event or holiday party where the hosts are paying for the food and drinks—look into the calendar the moment you get the invitation, RSVP right away, put it in your calendar, set a reminder, and show up. If you’re the one setting up the party, keep reminding your guests that it’s happening. People have busy lives—they may forget.